Coronavirus Guidance for Parents
Dear East Ramapo Central School District School Community,
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a warning to expect a growing number of 2019 Novel Coronavirus cases in the United States, saying it remains unclear how severe the health threat will be - but that sustained transmission of the virus is possible. As a result, federal and state health officials have advised schools, governments, businesses, and communities to prepare for potential outbreaks.
East Ramapo Central School District remains in contact with the Rockland County Department of Health, the New York State Health Department and the New York State Education Department, and will continue to monitor the situation to ensure plans are in place and protocols are followed to keep all students and staff members safe and updated with the latest information.
As part of the East Ramapo Central School District's efforts to ensure campuses and facilities are safe and healthy, our district has trained nursing professionals who routinely monitor individuals who exhibit fever, cough, and shortness of breath, and will follow appropriate assessment and monitoring protocols for students and staff who report feeling ill.
While East Ramapo Central School District and CDC continue to closely monitor the potential spread of Coronavirus, students and staff are encouraged to follow basic hand and cough hygiene measures to prevent colds, flu and Coronavirus.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to a virus. CDC recommends everyday preventive measures to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick and remain home until fever-free for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
East Ramapo Central School District, along with our neighboring school districts, will continue to follow protocols and guidance from local, state and federal agencies, as the health and safety of our students and staff is always our top priority. We trust this unified communication across Rockland County will best serve our community with accurate, timely, and consistent information.
Dr. Deborah L. Wortham
Superintendent of Schools