Certified library media specialist, K-12
What we do:
“Library media specialists empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information,” says Sara Kelly Johns, president of the American Association of School Librarians (AASL), one of the 11 divisions of the Chicago-based American Library Association.
The LMS is not confined to the library or to a single function. According to Johns, library media specialists:
* work with educators to design and teach curriculum
* create curriculum and promote an engaging learning experience tailored to the individual needs of students
* evaluate and “produce” information through the active use of a broad range of tools, resources, and information technologies
* provide access to materials in all formats, including up-to-date, high-quality, varied literature to develop and strengthen the love of reading
* provide students, educators, and staff with instructional materials that reflect current information needs.