Global History & Geography I
Global History and Geography Curriculum Outline
Global History and Geography is a two-year course at Spring Valley High School. It is a window into the world’s past, a state-mandated course culminating in a Regents examination. The first year of the course examines world history before 1770. Beginning with the birth of civilization, this course will take you on a journey around the world, across cultures, and through the ages. Global History and Geography I challenges students to rediscover life before the Industrial Revolution. The understanding of both the past and the present, as well as a comprehension of both domestic and global issues, will help prepare students for the challenges they will face in the years to come.
Objectives For All Classes:
- Write an effective historical essay with a strong thesis and supporting evidence.
- Analyze key documents of history and discuss their relevance.
- Interpret major events and periods of history as to their significance.
- Develop a global perspective of current world issues, and how history can guide the human race in the future.
- Synthesize creative projects utilizing historical knowledge learned in class.
- Discuss how past events relate to the present and his/her life.