ALWAYS WEAR A MASK WHILE ON ANY SCHOOL BUS AND SOCIAL DISTANCE WHEN POSSIBLE.
MASKS ARE MANDATORY!
Most injuries involving school buses occur outside the bus and by own bus.
Even though there are mirrors, the driver can't see people close to the bus. Because the bus is so big, car drivers can't see them either. Anyone inside the 'Danger Zone' is in GREAT DANGER! DO YOUR PART TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE GETS ON SAFELY:
- ALWAYS STAY OUT OF THE SCHOOL BUS DANGER ZONES.
- USE THE "TEN FOOT RULE" IF YOU HAVE TO CROSS THE STREET WHEN GETTING ON OR OFF THE BUS.
- ALWAYS STAY IN YOUR SEAT ON THE BUS, UNLESS YOU ARE GETTING OFF THE BUS AND THE BUS IS FULLY STOPPED.
- KNOW HOW TO EVACUATE THE BUS IN AN EMERGENCY.
Bus Safety is a team effort of bus driver, student, the motoring public, and parents. If you have bus safety concerns, call the District Transportation Ofice at 845-577-6490.
Role of the Student
Safety aboard the bus begins with the student. Certain basis rules of conduct combined with the use of common sense are a must to assure a safe ride on the bus. Students should be aware of all safety rules including those posted inside the bus. Please take time to read the following rules and follow them.
DON'T LOSE YOUR RIDING PRIVILEGE! FOLLOW THESE RULES:
- ALWAYS WEAR A MASK (THIS IS MANDATORY AND YOU WILL HAVE YOUR BUS PRIVILEGES SUSPENDED FOR NON-COMPLIANCE)
- OBSERVE SAME CONDUCT AS IN THE CLASSROOM.
- BE COURTEOUS, USE NO INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ON THE BUS (This includes chewing gum)
- KEEP THE BUS CLEAN.
- COOPERATE WITH THE DRIVER.
- DO NOT SMOKE.
- DO NOT BE DESTRUCTIVE.
- STAY IN YOUR SEAT.
- KEEP HEAD, HANDS AND FEET INSIDE THE BUS (AND TO YOURSELF)
- BUS DRIVER IS AUTHORIZED TO ASSIGN SEATS
- NO CELL PHONES ON BUS
- No animals, reptiles or large items are allowed on the bus.
- Musical instruments are permitted on the bus as long as they can be securely held on the student's lap.
- Bookbags should not be worn on the back while riding on the bus so that the children sit with their backs against the seat.
- Written permission must be obtained from the school office before riding a different bus or getting off at a different stop due to emergency situations.
New York State law and the need for safety make it necessary to restrict the size of objects (i.e. musical instruments) that can be transported on the bus. Please check with the main office before bringing such objects on the bus.
Buses are now equipped with video cameras that have proven to be very effective in identifying students who behave inappropriately. Parents may be shown the video tape in the presence of school officials to review their child's behavior.
Role of the Parent/Guardian
Parents and guardians are an important part of the smooth operation of the East Ramapo Transportation System. You can help promote and maintain safety in many different ways. These are just a few:
- PROVIDE YOUR CHILD WITH A MASK.(THE MASK IS MANDATORY ON ALL BUSES)
- Help teach your children the importance of good behavior aboard the bus.
- Go over the rules and responsibilities of riding the bus with your children.
- Ensure that your children are on time in the morning.
- Whenever possible, accompany small children to the bus and meet them on their return home.
- Work on reducing the number of loose items your children bring on the bus. New York State safety regulations prohibit the transporting of large objects on the bus. These items should be brought to school in a car. Contact your school or the Transportation Department if you have any questions about specific items.
- Be sure your child knows the rules and understands the consequences of breaking them. Information given out in the schools contain a more detailed listing of bus discipline procedures. Please take the time to read those procedures.
Instruct children not to get off the bus unless it is their stop. If the driver misses their stop, child should notify driver and they will be returned to designated bus stop as soon as possible. This also applies if child is on wrong bus.
PARENTS - PLEASE HELP US TEACH YOUR CHILD BUS SAFETY AND RESPECT THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF OTHERS BY WEARING A MASK AND SOCIAL DISTANCING WHENEVER POSSIBLE.