McKinney-Vento Homeless Act

    The McKinney-Vento Act Covers Children And Youth Who Don't Have A Fixed, Adequate And Regular Nighttime Residence, Such As Those Living:

    • in an emergency or transitional shelter
    • with friends or relatives due to loss of housing or economic hardship (also known as doubled-up)
    • in a motel, hotel or campground
    • in a car, bus or train station or other public place
    • in an abandoned building or some other inadequate accommodations
    • in temporary situations while awaiting foster care placement
    • They Can Choose From:

    • the school they went to when permanently housed
    • the last school they went to
    • the school located where they are temporarily living
    • Students In Temporary Housing Have The Right To:

    • immediately enroll in school and attend classes
    • get free transportation to the school to the local school if transportation is provided to others students
    • get special education services immediately if the student has a current IEP
    • participate in any school activity that is available to other students and get transportation to and from all before-or after-school activities if it is provided to other students
    • get free meals without filling out an application

      • For more information contact:

      • Jackie Iaria 

      • 105 S Madison Ave 

      • Spring Valley NY 

      • Located in the Family Welcome Center

      • 845-577-6371

      • jiaria@ercsd.org


    Frequently Asked Questions

    What does "fixed, regular, and adequate" mean?"

    A fixed residence is stationary, permanent, and is not subject to change. Example: a tent is not “fixed,” but a house or an apartment are usually fixed to the ground. 

    A regular residence is a place that a student can return to consistently and count on, night after night. Example: If the family has a lease or they own their own home, the housing is usually “regular,” but if the students are staying in someone else’s home with the host’s permission, the housing may not be regular.

    An adequate residence is one that meets both the physical and psychological needs that are typically met in a home environment. Example: A home without heat, running water, or with an infestation is not “adequate.”

    Who Can Help Students Living In Temporary Housing?
    Every school district must appoint a Homeless Liaison to help children and youth in temporary housing.  The Homeless Liaison can be reached at 845-577-6371.

    Can a Student Living In Temporary Housing Stay In The Same School If He/She Moves Out Of The School District?
    Yes, the student has the right to attend the school he/she attended when permanently housed as long as he/she does not have to travel more than 50 miles each way.

    Can A Student Enroll Himself/Herself In School?
    Sometimes. Youth living in temporary housing and not with their parents or legal guardians (known as unaccompanied youth) can enroll themselves in school.   The Homeless Liaison can assist.

    If A Student Moves Into Permanent Housing, Can He/She Stay In The Same School?
    Yes, students who move into permanent housing can stay in the same school until the end of the school year.  Some students can stay one more year if it is the student’s last year in that school (for example, a student entering the 8th or 12th grade).

    If you share housing with relatives, friends or others are you covered by McKinney Vento?
    If  you are living with relatives, friends or others because you lost your housing or because of economic hardship, you may be covered under the McKinney-Vento Act.  Students covered under the Act have the right to stay in the same school and get transportation to school, or immediately enroll in the local school.  Speak to the Homeless Liaison for more information. The Homeless Liaison can be reached at 845-577-6371.







    McKinney Vento Events

    Family Welcome Center Family Resource Centers

    Food Pantries https://www.rocklandhunger.org/find-food/

    Instruction Services/Afterschool