Running for Board of Education
In compliance with the Federal Court’s order, Case 7:17-cv-08943-CS-JCM, the District was divided into 9 Wards. A special all absentee ballot election for all nine Board of Education Trustee positions (1 Trustee per Ward) was on February 2, 2021. This is subject to possible future orders of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
In compliance with the Federal Court Order there are NO trustee positions up for election on Tuesday, May 11, 2021. That is a Budget Vote only.
General Requirements for Board of Education Trustee Candidates
Any individual seeking to be a candidate for the East Ramapo Central School District Board of Education must:
- meet the legal requirements stated below to serve as a school board member;
- reside in the Ward they are running for; and,
- complete the Candidate Petition form in order to be listed on the ballot for the District's annual meeting and election. A candidate may petition for only one seat.
Candidates will be listed on the ballot alphabetically.
Candidates need to declare and affirm that:
- I am able to read and write;
- I am a citizen of the United States;
- I am at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- I currently reside in the Ward that I am running for;
- I currently am, and have been a resident of the East Ramapo School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election (that is, before February 2, 2021);
- I have not been removed from any school district office within the preceding year;
- I do not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
- I am not a current employee of the East Ramapo School District, and therefore, its Board;
- I do not hold another incompatible public office;
- I have not been adjudged to be incompetent; and
- If I am a convicted felon, my maximum prison sentence has expired or I have been pardoned or discharged from parole
Any submission of a false document or inaccurate statement to the East Ramapo Central School District can be considered unlawful and subject you to criminal penalties including a fine, jail or both.
The terms of office for each current Trustee seat were set for staggered periods:
- Ward 1 - term ending June 30, 2024
- Ward 2 - term ending June 30, 2022
- Ward 3 - term ending June 30, 2023
- Ward 4 - term ending June 30, 2024
- Ward 5 - term ending June 30, 2023
- Ward 6 - term ending June 30, 2022
- Ward 7 - term ending June 30, 2024
- Ward 8 - term ending June 30, 2023
- Ward 9 - term ending June 30, 2022
When campaign expenditures and contributions are less than $500.00, all candidates must file a sworn statement only with the District Clerk. All candidates must file three sworn or affirmed statements with both the District Clerk and the NYS Commissioner of Education when total campaign expenditures and contributions (made by candidates or on their behalf) exceed $500.00. The filing dates will be updated shortly.
For more information on being a Board of Education member click on the link below:
Note that the important 2021 dates on the NY State website are based on the May 18, 2021 election date, not the Special Trustee Election date of February 2, 2021.